I've been asked at the reference desk a few times if the library has a shredder for the public to use. This seems like a good idea to me, so I was curious if anyone has already developed best-practices for it - such as:
- how heavy-duty of a shredder is necessary?
- is it a free-access shredder in a public area, or staff-mediated behind a desk or in an office?
- is noise or safety a factor?
- do patrons need to sign a waiver since they're probably leaving personal/private data behind? (shredded, but still, there's always potential)
- is there a limit on how much patrons can shred? (since it all becomes waste the library needs to pay to remove)
This seems like a great service to offer patrons in a modern library, but just wanted to do some homework before I requested the money to purchase a shredder.